Sunday, August 17, 2014

Breakaway Nutella Brioche Bread, another travel Inspired!


When we were at Strasbourg, a French medieval town, the hotel we stayed  served complimentary breakfast buffet every morning and one thing I really liked was the brioche bread. It was soft, fully and smell so good with the chocolate swirl in between.  I had not came across any brioche in most bakery that I usually patronage (maybe I did not pay attention), so I decided to give it a try at home.
When I saw this video clip by Steve's kitchen on how to make Nutella brioche bread for sharing on YouTube, I knew this is the recipe that I must try, and it didn't disappoint me. I just followed every step that Steve showed and it turned out beautifully! In fact he has many more recipes on his website that are really interesting.
My beautiful brioche



Breaking away is so easy

Last one left, and it's mine!


Making of Nutella Brioche Bread, step by step in picture

Could have almost fooled my family that I am a master in bakery, LOL, in fact I am no where near good with bread making.

I have summarized the steps based on the video, but you may also want to refer to the video for clearer understanding. It is a tedious recipe as it involved many steps and waiting time in between, but I assure you the outcome is worth it. :)

Preparation time: 55 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
Waiting time: 1h20min or more
Serving for: 8 slices

Original receipt adopted from Steve's Kitchen
Ingredients:
  • 450g of Bread Flour
  • 70g of a cup of Sugar (I substituted with brown sugar)
  • 2 Teaspoons of instant Dried Yeast
  • A pinch of Salt
  • 30g of melted Unsalted Butter
  • 180ml of warmed Milk 
  • 2 Egg Yolks, separate the whites to glaze the bread
  • 1 cup of Nutella, melted in microwave for 10 seconds (I skipped the microwave)


The Making:

1. In a clean bowl, mix bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt, mix well using a fork, then add the melted butter, milk and egg yolks. Mix the ingredients until it turns into a dough ball then move it to the table top.


2. Knit by hands for 5-10 minutes, or use the mixer. The dough shall become smooth and when you sink the finger it, it will renounce to the shape.
checking if the dough is ready 
3. Coat the dough with a light layer of olive oil, then place it into a clean bowl, cover a layer of cling foam over the bowl, follow by a damp towel. Let the dough proof for at least an hour or more until it rises to double the size. (I put mine in the microwave which was warm after I heated the butter.
4. Prepare a baking tray with a non stick baking sheet on top (or brush with some oil).
5. Cut the dough into 4 equal parts. On a clean surface, sprinkle some flour and roll the dough into a circular approximately 10" I'm diameter. Spread Nutella onto, then slip it onto the baking tray.
6. Continue the same step for next 3 dough (last dough shall not recquire Nutella spread), and stack them onto one another.
7. Place a dinner plate on top the stacked dough, use a sharp knife and cut along the plate; you shall have a nice circular dough now.
8. Place a drinking cup in the middle of the dough, use a sharp knife and cut 12 straight lines along the dough to make into equal sizes, starting from center to the edge (imagine a sunflower with 12 pedals).

9. Twist and fold 2 pedals together to form a braided pattern, continue with remaining pedals until you get a nice Sunflower shape. 

10. Preheat the oven to 180°c / 370°F.
11. Cover the dough with a clean damp cloth and let it proof for another 10 minutes. 
12. Brush the egg whites evenly onto the dough, then pop it into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until it turns golden brown.
It smells so so good when I took my Nutella Brioche bread out of the oven, wish I could sink my teeth into it right away. When I shared it with the family the next morning, all 8 pieces and the center piece where gone in just 5 minutes. 
This recipe is certainly a keeper for me! :)

The extra that was cut out? I made them into Nutella rolls and drip with honey when serve. Yum.. :)



Useful Tips:
• When adding the yeast into the dry ingredient, avoid touching the salt.
• Milk must be warm in order to activate the yeast. Just warm it up in microwave for about 30 seconds.
• This is an ideal choice for party, just a few of them and watch your friends break your bread apart. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment