Friday, August 16, 2013

Steamed Egg with Minced Meat, Mom Style 蒸水蛋,妈妈拿手菜!

Some how I'm hooked on egg this week, so bear with me, will you? This is a dish that is suitable for 1 - 99 years old. :)

I liked this steamed egg since I was a kid, it is one of my Mom's best dishes. She's such a good cook that I thought it would be such a waste if I do not learn a few signature dishes from her while she's still in the mood. The steamed egg she made is always soft and smooth so I finally learnt the keys:

• right amount of water and egg
• control your cooking time
• beat your eggs to achieve fluffiness

Smooth steamed eggs, in few simple steps...


I added few drops of sesame oil before serving which is really optional.


It only takes no more than 10 minutes to prepare this dish, so if you are out of idea and in a rush to prepare dinner, this is a super easy go-to recipe.

Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
Serving for: 4 person



Ingredients:
3 large eggs (size A)
3/5 cup of boiled water (a normal coffee mug, room temperature will do)
A dash of salt (I used sea salt)
A dash of ground pepper 
A dash of sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce
A palm-ful of minced meat, either pork or chicken (optional if you like just plain steamed egg)

The Making:

1. Marinate the minced meat with salt, pepper and soy sauce, mix well and set aside.

2. Heat up the steamer with sufficient  water. As you can see I used a traditional wok here, but you can use any other steamer set too.

3. Beat the eggs with water using a fork or whisk until fluffy, sieve the bubbles to achieve smoother texture if you wish. Add the marinated minced meat and roughly mix. Pour the mixture into a dish before entering the steamer. 

4. Steam on high heat and lid closed for 5 minutes. Test the steamed egg with a fork, it should be firm when the fork is inserted. If its still watery then steam for another minute.




The minced meat hidden underneath.


The dish is best when serve warm, dig in and enjoy the warm steam eggs. 

I dropped a few spoonful of the steamed eggs into my little one's rice and the duo enjoyed smashing it up, pretending they were playing the disappearing act of a magician. Served them along other veggies and we have a yummy healhty meal. 


Useful to Know..

Make sure your watch the water to egg ratio. If you used up to 5 large eggs then pour a full mug of drinking water. The size of the eggs does matter here if you want to achieve the right consistency.

• When serving to infant under 2 year old, you may spare the soy sauce and use the salt sparingly. Besides, make sure you watch out for allergy to egg if this is the first time serving eggs to your LO.


Hope you make the perfect steamed eggs too... Happy cooking!


7 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm an amateur in cooking and I'm looking to learn to make the dish. What is the meaning of "3/5 cup" of water?

    Would appreciate your kind reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I used a standard coffee cup. When I am back in town I shall post the actual measurement so it's easier for reference..

      Delete
  2. I'm also wondering how much is 3/5 cup of water. Does is mean 3 or 5 cups? Or 3/5?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best traditional dish... thank you so much sister for sharing this. I am going to make this easy dish for my 11 month old. I'm sure his older sister and brother will love this too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and my team was in search of a rarely found platform which can help us for our new assignment. We are writers and its been a long time we are in this writing field. So we would appreciate help of this blog.น้ำซุปสำเร็จรูป

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipe! I found using the egg shells a good way to measure the water. 3 eggs = 3 egg water. I use half an egg shell and measure 6 scoops of water to match it to 3 eggs amount of water.

    ReplyDelete