Saturday, July 6, 2013

Double Boiled Pear with Rock Sugar 炖冰糖雪梨

This is one of the traditional Chinese dessert that we often drink during hot weather, it's known to nourish the body and ease long chesty cough. You may serve it hot or chilled, either way I can assure that your little one will enjoy sipping the drink or eating the soft sweet pear. :)

I boiled this today after studying a few recipes, I decided to go with the traditional method of double boiled so the nutrition will be locked in the drink.



Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Serving for: 3-4 small bowls

Ingredients:
1 Pear 雪梨一粒
1 rock sugar 冰糖适量 (adjust according to liking)
3 rice bowl of warm water 温水三碗
8-10 apricot kernel  (optional) 南北杏8-10颗 (可免)





The making:
1. Fill a pot with water to about half the height of the double boiler, boil on stove. The pot itself shall be taller than the double boiler in order to fit.

2. Clean, peel the pear, remove the core and cut into wedges, put the pear and apricot kernels into the boiler except the rock sugar.

3. Add enough warm water to cover the pear (I used 3 rice bowl of warm water), close the lid and boil for 1.5 hours (or you may shorten to 75min). First 10 minutes on high heat then switch to low heat.

4. On the final 5 minutes, add the rock sugar and let it boil for short while before turning off the heat.



My trusted double boiler, a gift from my old ma when we first moved into the house.



Cooling dessert, anyone? 




Tips!
If you don't have a double boiler, just boil using a normal pot with the lid on. You may reduce the time to about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Important to Note...
While the apricot kernel is known for its benefit in treating cough, it must not be taken in excessive amount. When serving to my little ones I only serve them the pear and the soup, but personally I enjoy chewing these crunchy kernels.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks so much for posting such lovely recipe. :) I am very happy to have found your website online. Thanks for sharing, and cheers to new yummy recipes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging comment, glad that my humble blog is useful for others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Must I get rid of the skin? Can I just wash it and cut them since the peel contains most of the nutrients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I would recommend to remove the skin as there could be residue of chemicles - you wouldn't know if any is introduced during the transportation & storage process. Besides, without the skin it is easier to eat the soft pear after boiling.

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    Can infant drink this? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For infant under 1, generally nut, sugar or salt are not recommended. Best that you consult your doctor for alternative. Speedy recovery..

      Delete
  5. Can I omit the bitter almonds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi much 7 months old baby can take this if she have cough?Does she can take as much as she can?

    ReplyDelete