Friday, October 26, 2012

Roasted Dried Achovies Powder 江鱼仔粉末


*updated with pictorial guide*
I made these anchovies powder for baby C's porridge few weeks ago, been too busy lately that I have no time to write about it. Besides, I would like to find out more about the benefits of anchovies before sharing it with others.

Anchovies are commonly known as ikan bilis to the locals, dried anchovies with head and tail attached are commonly available in most hypermarkets or wet markets, and come in different grades depending on the size and types of fish used.



Some of the known benefits of anchovies:

  • Despite its tiny size, anchovies is packed with nutrients: iron, calcium (as it can be consumed with edible bones), protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
  • Due to the small size which translate to relatively shorter life cycle , it’s possibly less prone to heavy metal contamination in the ocean unlike other bigger fish.
  • However, due to the high sodium content, I soak and wash the anchovies to wash away some of the salt content before cooking them. This also removes any potential dust or dirt residues on the anchovies. Besides, most articles I read encourage removing the head and entrails which have higher content of cholesterol.


Apart from the benefits listed the above, other reasons why I choose to make anchovies powder for my baby:
  • It's convenient, especially on days where I am out of the house with baby the whole day. Once blended, the anchovies powder can be stored in air tight container for a month or more.
  • It adds taste and nutrient into the porridge. When going out with baby C, I usually put 1/4 tea spoon of powder into a container and add them into the porridge right before serving. The porridge smells and tastes so nice that even I like them :)


So, what do I used the anchovies powder for?
I usually add about 1/4 tea spoon of the anchovies powder into a small rice bowl of porridge for taste. You may also use the powder on fried rice, sushi, sandwiches or even soup for a richer aroma. I prefer using this homemade flavoring than those commercially packed chicken stock which I am sure is full of preservative and MSG. No food is better than homecook food. :)


Preparation Time: 5min
Cooking Time: 10-15min
Recommended age: 8 months onwards

Ingredients:
500gm of Dried anchovies just like in picture below, about 5 palms full (enough for a month's usage).


Step-by-Step Guides:

1. Preheat oven to 120c/140c (gas/fan).

2. Wash the anchovies, remove the heads and tails (I bought those that had the heads and tails removed, save a lot of time). Dab the fish using a kitchen towel to remove as much access water as possible and spread them out evenly onto a baking tray


3. Roast the anchovies in the oven for 15-20 minutes. You can open the oven to check the fish, once it's golden crisp you may remove them from the oven. Let it cool before blending them.

I got 2 full jars of these crunchy anchovies.


4. In a food processor / blender, blend the roasted anchovies into powdery form.


The anchovies powder can be stored in air-tight container for up to a month or more. Keep it in a cool and dry place for longer shelve life. I placed mine in a clear glass container and stored in the fridge to ensure freshness.




Reference Links:
These are some of the websites I referred to, for your reference only.

http://www.moh.gov.my/images/gallery/Garispanduan/diet/km6.pdf
http://www.asiaone.com/Health/Eat%2BRight/Story/A1Story20090409-134369.html
http://www.menshealth.com.sg/weight-loss-nutrition/ikan-bilis-protein-rich

Until the next post, happy feeding! :)

8 comments:

  1. We can get the ready made pure anchovies powder from the shop in Penang. They can even send to you straight to your house. it is so convinient and the quality is very good. U can get it from Pearl Island Seafood Sdn Bhd. Tel 0125413088. Can give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm so happy to find this blog. It's very useful especially for first time mother.
    I would like to prepare rice cereal and anchovy powder for my baby but I don't have food processor yet. Which type/ brand of food processor or blender is good to mill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm so happy to find this blog. It's very useful for a first time mother.
    I want to prepare rice cereal and anchovies powder for my baby but I don't have a food processor yet. Which type/ brand of food processor/ blender is good to mill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzie, glad that you find my blog helpful, my purpose of setting this up was to help other first time parents indeed :)

      No specidic recommendation for the food processor as it's just a basic function. Mine comes built in with the Kenwood mixer that we bought when j started to learn baking..

      Delete
  4. Hi! Where do u find the anchovies with head and tail remove?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I¡¦ve read several excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you put to make one of these excellent informative web site.
    basmati rice suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post. I certainly appreciate this website. Keep writing!
    rice manufacturers in pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us.Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this. Its really good. best indigo powder for hair in India

    ReplyDelete