Friday, June 28, 2013

Homemade Garlic Powder 自制蒜头粉末

I made some garlic powder last night and I must say that, making homemade garlic powder is much easier than I thought!

While the oven was running, my kitchen and living hall was filled with the wonderful aroma of roasted garlic that I find rather comforting. I don't usually like garlic, especially raw garlic, never a garlic person. However roasted garlic is a totally different thing. I can't explain why but it just work for me, and my Big Guy too asked me what was the nice smell coming from the kitchen...



What is the garlic powder for, you asked? Well, I am going to use it for:

While ready-made garlic powders are easily available in supermarket, homemade ensure there is no added salt nor preservative, it is as natural as can be. Since the making is simple, I do not mind to make this at home once in a while, just like the anchovies powder.




Benefits of Garlic

Garlic is traditional used as treatment for various ailments as well as cooking. You can find it almost in every kitchens but seldom we know about its full benefits. So lets have a glance:

  • Garlic strengthens the immune system and helps to fight chest infections, coughs and congestion. Use it in cooking to ward off cold and flu.If you do not like the pungent smell of raw garlic like me, garlic powder is quite an ideal choice.
  • It is a good source of Iodine, Vitamin C that is vital for general well being.
  • Helps in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases as it reduces the level of LDL cholesterol. 
  • Aids in prevention of multiple type of cancers. Garlic contains high level of Vitamin B6 which boost immune system, assist with  mood swings and is said to have cancer fighting abilities.
  • Assist in control of diabetes as it helps to regulate blood sugars.

Looking at the above benefits, I am more determined to introduce garlic into my little ones' daily diet to reap the long term benefit. However, do note that consuming too much of garlic may have its negative impact and may also leads to body odor. So remember, moderation is the key.... ;)

Now, enough of talking, let's look at how to prepare some wholesome homemade garlic powder!


Ingredients:
3-4 Garlic (I used only 2 whole garlic here)

Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 30-40 min


The Making:
1. Preheat oven to 150°c. Get ready a carousel.


2. Peel the garlic and cut into thin slices. Spread them into the carousel.


3. Roast the garlic in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until it turns golden brown. Watch your oven closely on the last 5 minutes to ensure the garlic is not burnt.


4. Let it cool slightly. Using a mortar and pestle, slowly crush the roasted garlic by pressing them using the pestle. Then roll the pestle around in a circulate motion (imagine you are a operating a grinder) to grind all the garlic into fine powder.  If you are using a food processor, just pour everything into it and  blend until fine.




5. Scope the garlic powder into a glass jar with lid and store in a dry place, it can keep for weeks!




Useful Tips...
  • When travelling with your kiddos, bring a small container of the anchovies powder and garlic powder, they are good natural flavoring for the little one's meal.
  • The same method can used to prepare onion powder, however my first attempt had failed (you probably noticed I roasted the garlic and onion together). The onion seems to take a longer time to achieve the same crunchiness level, so I shall experiment on that later.

Reference Sites

No comments:

Post a Comment