Sunday, December 14, 2014

Homemade Potato Croquettes, simply too good to resist!


Little guy and I were making potato bread earlier and we have half a bowl of mashed potatoes left, the recipe only calls for 50gm of mashed potatoes but the one large potato we boiled was nearly 140gm. 

So what to do with the leftover mashed? I decided to make some creamy & crunchy potato croquettes, and it became the most popular dish on my dinner table tonight.



Don't get fooled by its rather uninteresting appearance, it is actually better than chicken nuggets sold in the fast food store. ;) 


Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes 
Serving for: approximate 8 medium croquettes 


Ingredients:

Ingredient A
• 1/2 large potato, washed (approx 80g)
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 slice cheddar cheese or approx 15g block cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes 
• 1 teaspoon of basil leaves
• 1 large egg, beaten

Ingredient B (For Coating)
• 2 tablespoon bread crumbs 
• 2 tablespoon corn flour 


The Making:
1. Boil the potato with skin in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes. Remove from the water, let cold and peel of the skin. Cut the potato into large cubes and mash them by pressing firmly with the back of a fork. 

2. Mix the mashed potatoes with all ingredient A. Shape them into oval shape patties of your desired size (I made them about 5cm long).

3. Coat the patties evenly with corn flour follows by a generous layer of bread crumb.

4. Heat up the pan with about 4 table spoon of coking oil, cook each side of the potato croquette for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. 

5. Absorb excessive oil with a kitchen napkin, serve as-is or with  your favorite sauce.

My kiddos and Big Guy enjoyed these so much, my boy actually gave me a double thumb ups! LOL.

Useful Tips:
• I added some small potato cubes into the patty to give some twist to the otherwise soft croquettes.
• I like to make my potato croquettes thin (about 1" thickness) so it is really crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Even I couldn't resist eating a few pieces of these delicious treats! 


No comments:

Post a Comment