Saturday, May 18, 2013

Vermicelli Soup with Minced Pork 肉碎米粉汤

Vermicelli (米粉) is a kind of traditional Chinese thin noodles made of rice, it is easy to digest and cook fast within few minutes. I  usually keep a package of vermicelli as it can be used to make soup or stir fried with meat or vegetables, always come in handy. 

When serving for my duo today, I served it with mixed vegetables soup and top with some minced meat. I used organic pork but you can replace it with minced chicken meat too.

Here's the serving for my 4 years old. My baby girl had the same but in smaller portion.


I made extra of the minced meat and served it with the blanched Bak Choy for me and my big guy. When cooking at home, I always try to cook dishes that are suitable for the entire family so I can keep my cooking time to the minimal, otherwise I may have a frustrated baby clinging onto my legs like a little koala.  :)




Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving for: 2 little ones


Ingredients: 
1 palm-ful of vermicelli (or adjust according to your little one's appetite)
1 palm size of minced meat
1 table spoon of olive oil
2 glove garlic, finely chopped
A dash of sesame oil
2 tea spoon of corn starch (to achieve  smoother texture)

For Marinate:
1/4 onion, finely chopped
A dash of salt
1 tea spoon of soy sauce
A dash of Shao Xin wine (I usually skip this when cooking for little one)

For Soup:
3 cups of water 
1 stalk of celery, chopped into small chunks 
1/2 medium carrot, chopped into cubes
1/2 onion, finely chopped 
20-30 anchovies (pre-washed) or 2 table spoon of anchovies powder


Step by Step Guide:
  1. Marinate the minced meat in a bowl, set aside.
  2. Boil a pot of water (about 3 cups), add the soup ingredient and boil for 5 minutes on high heat then switch to medium heat and let it shimmer for about 15 minutes. 
  3. While the soup is boiling, stir fry the chopped garlic until fragrance, toss in the marinated minced meat and a dash of water, stir fry for 3 minutes. Once the gravy has thickened, add the corn starch and a dash of sesame oil, the meat is now ready.
  4. Toss the vermicelli into the soup, cook for about 2 minutes and turn of the heat.

To serve, just put the minced meat on top of the vermicelli, or mix well if serving for young infant, and remember to cut the vermicelli into bite size using a clean kitchen scissors.


It's a really simple dish that is suitable for young infant and elder kids. The minced meat complements the vermicelli which is plaint in taste. You may choose to skip the sesame oil when serving for young  infant however elder kids usually like the aroma and taste of the sesame oil.


Bon appetite peeps!


No comments:

Post a Comment