Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tender Stew Beef with Carrots and Potatoes 香嫩炖牛肉


It's been a while since I last cook stew beef, it's one of my big guy's favorites. Since the super market I visited had some really fresh beef yesterday, I choose 2 packs of beef cube approximate 250gm each and cooked this dish the same time I prepare baby's porridge in the morning. It will take at least 1.5 hours to get the soft and tender texture so better to cook it ahead of meal time.

It certainly smelt nice and inviting when I opened the lid, the wonderful aroma of the stew meat and vegetables darted out and was just irresistible, I actually ate a spoonful before serving them. The meat was so tender and juicy as I cooked them up to 2 hours. :)

Here's the stewed beef, I served them with white rice and basil leaves fried egg, and some crispy bacon chips too, simply yummy!

Here's the portion for my big guy


And this was for my little boy. I mixed a big chunk of pan fried punter fish into his rice for the added nutrient (remaining was added to my little girl's porridge).



Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 1.5 hours (active cooking 15 min)
Serving for: 4 person




Ingredients:

Ingredient A:
500gm beef cut junto cubes
1 table spoon flour, dilute in 1/2 cup warm water
1 carrot, cut into big cubes
1 potato, cut into big cubes
1 onion, diced
4 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 table spoons tomato purée
Palmful of chopped rosemary or thyme (I used basil as I ran out of both, taste alright too)
750gm stock

Ingredient B:
Dash of salt and black pepper
Dash of ground pepper



Step-by-Step Guides:

1. Defrost the beef cubes, marinate with ingredient B then set aside.

2. Heat up 2 table spoon of olive oil in the pot and add in the chopped garlic, once it's starting to turn brown, add the marinated beef, follow by the diced onion.



3. Cook for about 5 minutes until the beef turns brown, add the flour and mix well.

4. Add the carrots, potatoes, purée, herb, stock and a dash of Worcester sauce. I added a dash of paprika powder too to spice up the taste. Turn to medium heat and let the meat and vegetable shimmer with the lid on for at least 1 1/4 hour, or ideally 2 hours.



Check your stew occasionally to ensure its not burnt. Stir slightly to avoid sticking onto the bottom of the pot.



If you like it more watery, reduce the cooking time or increase the stock. I like mine thick and rich, hmm...


To serve, sprinkle some rosemary on top and serve hot with warm rice, best possible combination!

I added the fried egg with some basil, sesame oil and bacon chips. Simple yet delicious side dish.



Bon appetite!




Tips
1. If you do not have ready stock, use the stock cubes or for me, I added 2 spoonful of homemade anchovy powder to make it into instant anchovy stock.

I've cooked with this ready packed stock before and it was good. Since it has expired I didn't used any this round and still taste as good. :)


2. You can add leeks instead of potatoes too, and add mushrooms (under step 4) if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment